2001 Toyota Sequoia - Calgary Alberta
What Was New for the 2001?
Toyota released the Sequoia that is based on the Tundra pickup, a full-sized SUV that is the first real overseas threat to the Chevy Tahoe/Suburban, GM Yukon, and Ford Expedition.
- Toyota is looking to take a large chunk of the full-sized sport utility vehicle market with their 2001 Sequoia. It is priced in between the Land Cruiser and 4Runner.
- The 2001 Sequoia is bigger than the Yukon or Tahoe and approximately the same size as the Ford Expedition. Sequoia's width, height, length, wheelbase and the interior space all amount to more than the Chevy and GM, while the 3rd seat room and cargo space is bigger than all of the three competing models. There is an entire 11 inches of ground clearance (which is much greater than GM, Chevy, and Ford), but Toyota only offers 8-pass capacity, whereas the Tahoe, Expedition and Yukon have a max of 9 occupants.
- In appearance, the Toyota Sequoia resembles the Tundra and 4Runner, but it is powered by a sleek and quiet 4.7 L, i-Force V8 engine that creates 240hp and 315 ft-lbs of torque using regular unleaded fuel. Its V8 makes it Toyota's first truck to be officially certified as an Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle (ULEV). Also, it puts out 40% less non-methane organic gases (NMOG) than the Expedition with an LEV engine. The Sequoia is capable of towing 6500lbs in 2WD mode and the 4 wheelers can tow 300 less.
- Additional hardware includes an independent double-wishbone front suspension that is complemented by a 5-link live rear axle. 4-wheel disc anti-lock brakes come standard, while Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) is an option. The Sequoia comes with 3-point seatbelts in each seat for your safety, and an optional curtain-shield side airbag set.
- The Sequoia comes with two trim levels; the SR5 and the LIMITED. The LIMITED gets you leather seating, 10-speaker JBL sound system and aluminum wheels. It also includes 3rd row seating, power retractable exterior mirrors, dual air conditioning, seat heaters, privacy glass, a roof rack, and a tow hitch. A power sunroof, side airbags, and VSC are optional on both editions.
- In 2001, Toyota expected to be building only 60,000 Sequoias annually. We were predicting a serious shortfall, that would result in demand that far outstrips supply. You should have probably started discussing your order with your Toyota dealer in 2001... but we here at Bonnybrook Auto Sales in Calgary might just have one in stock for you today.
Check our Current Inventory to find out if we have one in stock today!